Being able to stay fit after having a baby may be a very complicated task because everything is now about the baby. Life takes an unexpected turn when you’re in charge of your own bundle of joy. But you can still go and indulge in getting back into shape when you use an amazing device called the jogging stroller. Now you can keep a watchful eye on your baby while jogging through the park.
It is worth noting, though, that a jogging stroller can be a very expensive item, so you should gauge your lifestyle and your capacity to utilize such an item before purchasing one.
- The front wheel – this is an area you should definitely consider, especially when it comes to your jogging lifestyle. It comes in two varieties: the fixed wheel and the swivel wheel. While the former is locked in a single position, the latter twists and turns. The swivel isn’t made for serious jogging as it can abruptly change the direction of the stroller itself.
- Spokes & rims – tires need spokes & rims to maintain its round shape. For jogging strollers, there are two kinds: metal & plastic. The metal ones are weightier, thus enabling joggers to control the stroller easily; the plastic ones are lighter in weight, thus more ideal for casual strolling purposes.
- Wheel size – 12’’ wheels are great for flat roads and interior floors; 16’’ wheels are for concrete & slightly rugged surfaces; 20’’ wheels are for any type of surface.
- Tire tread – Bumpy treads on wheels are great for uneven roads & surfaces; smooth treads are for flat floors and interiors
- Tire width – Fat tires are great for off-road scenarios like camping, while thinner tires are great for more stable surfaces
- Wheel reflector – these are great when you need more visibility for your stroller to prevent any danger or accidents
- Parking brake – A parking brake is more akin to an emergency brake of a car. It is controlled by stepping your foot on a component behind the stroller.
- Hand brake – Hand brakes are your primary source of control when you want to change direction or slow down your pace.
- Shock absorbers – These are great to prevent the stroller from actually succumbing to the bumps in the road. Your baby will enjoy a controlled ride because his vehicle does not react every time his stroller passes over an uneven surface.
- Modifiable – these can be manipulated to adapt to the height of the person holding the stroller. If the person is taller, then the handle can be raised; the opposite can also be said for a shorter person.
- Fixed – These are more stable handles, especially for parents who want to be in control of every movement of the stroller
- Seat padding – this is important to allow your baby to relax while in the stroller. Some strollers have thicker padding, but the stroller will have more weight.
- Safety harness – a 5-strap safety harness is important to keep your baby in place while you’re taking him out for a leisurely stroll. The safety of the baby is the first thing to consider.
- Reclining seat – if your baby is awake, he should be in a seated position; if he is asleep, he must also be in a comfortable position for sleep (supine or semi-raised)
- Folding mechanism – a simple button folding mechanism would allow you to fold the stroller easily with one hand
- Compact folding – this is a more complex form of folding where you would make the stroller more compact so that it could fit into a vehicle
Storage & Canopy
- A portion in the rear section of the stroller would allow you to store things in it, such as the baby bag and snack containers.
- The canopy would shield the baby from the sun. It can also have a peek-a-boo window where you could easily check on the baby
- This would keep the stroller close to you at all times. It would also lessen the risk of the stroller rolling off when you’re resting
Double Jogging Strollers
Side by side double jogging stroller
These are great for two kids at once. The weight of the stroller is evenly distributed from side to side, so it’ll be easier to push. The kids can also interact with each other because they are beside each other. This type of stroller just doesn’t work well in crowded areas and it can take a lot of space.
Tandem double jogging stroller
While this could allow you to dart through the crowds and busy establishments with ease, it doesn’t let your kids interact with each other. The child in the back area has an obstructed view and your view of the child in front would be obstructed, as well.
Jogging strollers are great for parents who want to stay in shape while letting their tots out for a stroll. It’ll help them bond and interact with the outside world. These items are still very useful, even if you’re not taking it for a casual jog, but their intended purpose it what makes them more expensive than regular strollers.