A baby bouncer is a common device used for the enjoyment of a baby. It features a metal frame that is covered with padded fabric wrapped in a soft material. When the baby wiggles and moves, the seat is stimulated to bounce. A baby bouncer is also called a baby bouncy seat or bouncer chair. It is different from baby jumpers and baby swings, since the baby only needs to wiggle on the seat to get the desired effect. Aside from the fun, a baby bouncer can also be expected to lull the baby to sleep or keep him secured while the rest of the family are doing their own thing.
Various Types of Baby Bouncers
There are two types of bouncers currently available in the market. Read on the following varieties to know the best one for your baby.
Basic Baby Bouncer
This type is the standard variety that allows the baby to bounce and nothing more. Its features are limited, but this is commonly the portable one among the two types. Its focus is on allowing maximum bounce effect even with minimal efforts from the baby. You could expect general styles, which is quite bland.
Baby Activity Bouncer
If you want something flashy and colorful, this variety does not disappoint. From toy bars, to music, this type keeps the baby entertained even when he/ she is not bouncing. While this device seems to be the perfect choice, it is not great for trips because of the bulk. The melodies and lights can also be annoying at times for you and the baby.
Aspects to Compare
- The seat material of the bouncer should be comfortable and soft to touch. Make sure that there are no coarse seams, which can irritate the baby’s skin.
- Padding should be a priority, since it can affect the baby’s comfort while bouncing away. Too much padding could result in lack of support.
- An easy-to-clean padding will make a mother’s life easier. Choose something that can be machine-washed. A waterproof cover would also work.
- Head support is crucial to protect the head and neck of the baby while bouncing. Choose something with ample cushioning and can be removed.
- Babies prefer a reclined position, while older ones want to sit upright. Pick something with a seat incline so the baby can still use it while growing.
- The level of bounce depends on the frame of the bouncer. Check the framing to see if it achieves bounce requirements
- If traveling is a part of your family’s life, a portable bouncer will make things easier. Choose a lightweight and foldable one.
- A wider base is recommended to achieve stability, no matter how hard the bouncing is.
- The frame build should be durable, which is why metal frames are recommended. They are sturdier than plastic, so it would outlast the baby’s use.
- Non-slip feet would be great to hold the frame stable, even on slippery floors. This would reduce the risk of the frame falling with the baby on it.
- Always read the product’s maximum weight limit. Some bouncers cannot hold heavier babies, which would result in falling apart. Choose something with a heavier weight limit, so the baby can use it even as he/she grows.
- A sun shade would be handy when the bouncer is used outdoors. It shields the baby from UV rays without interfering the baby’s fun bouncing.
- Secure your baby on the bouncer with durable and strong straps. Bouncing can be an uncomfortable experience if the baby is not properly secured.
- Music and sounds should be varied, if ever the bouncer has this feature. Music on loop, no matter how good, will become annoying in the end.
- A toy bar can sometimes be found in some baby bouncers. Removable toy bars should be preferred, since there will be times that the baby won’t want to see toys dangling in their faces.
- Lights can be amazing for the baby, but you might find them stimulation rather than soothing. Pick a bouncer with manual controls over the lights.
- Vibrating bouncers are a great choice for newborns, since they still don’t know how to bounce yet.
- Choose a unisex theme, so that the bouncer can be used by future babies. If you want something gender- specific, then get something that could maximize the fun of your baby while using the device.
Differences Between Bouncer and Jumper
A Quick Look at the Best Baby Bouncers in the Market
Best basic baby bouncer
Babyjorn Bouncer Balance Soft
Style: Many styles and colors available
This product is one of the best basic bouncers that mothers recommend all the time.
- Truly portable
- Features excellent support
- Easy to clean
- Soft fabric to ensure irritation-free comfort
- Three fabric options: 100% cotton, organic cotton and mesh
Best activity bouncer
Rainforest Friends Deluxe Bouncer
Style: As pictured
This activity bouncer also has top recommendations from mothers because of the great balance of form and entertainment.
- The toy bar is removable
- Machine-washable pad
- Features musical melodies (total of 12)
- Provides calming vibrations
Best baby bouncer for sleeping
Sassy Cuddle Bug Bouncer
Style: Boy and girl themes available
If you need something for sleeping, this bouncer will exceed expectations.
- Features soothing vibrations
- Has non-slip feet for better grip on smooth floors, like marble and tiles
- Hanging toys for maximum entertainment
- Built-in blanket for a snug comfort
- It comes in boy and girl themes
Best cheap baby bouncer
Bright Starts Playful Pinwheel Bouncer
Style: As pictured
If you are budget-conscious, this cheap alternative does not scrimp on quality, entertainment and safety.
- Removable toy bar
- Non-slip feet
- Soothing vibrations to lull your kid to sleep
- Machine-washable pad
Safety Issues Regarding Baby Bouncers
- There are age, height and weight limits in using baby bouncers. Make sure to read them to avoid injuries or discomfort.
- If the bouncer moves or slip across the floor, it is time to chance it. Slippery floors, like wood or tile, usually result in constant slipping, but this can be remedied by using a non-slip mat below.
- Only set the bouncer in a safe area. This place should be flat to reduce the risk of slipping. Pets should also be restricted from roaming this area, because they might jump on the baby on the bouncer.