- Baby Wrap
- Soft-Structured Baby Carriers
- Mei-Tei Baby Carrier
- Baby Sling Carrier
- Front-facing Baby Carrier
- Baby Carrier Backpack
Baby carriers are in six different types, and each one is designed for personal suitability and lifestyle, making baby carrying comfortable and easier.
Here is a brief summary of each type of baby carriers with its advantages and disadvantages so that you will know what to choose for you and your baby.
This is the basic style. It wraps around your body and hugs the baby in a snug and comfortable way. It can be worn differently, but it may cause danger to your baby if carrying is done improperly.
You can carry the baby in front or on your back or across the hip.
Baby Wrap is suitable for:
- Those who prefer cheap carrying solution.
- Those who want to learn proper wrapping and carrying.
- Those who want one that fits a variety of body size.
- From newborn to first year.
- Can be folded neatly for storage and fits neatly into any diaper bag.
- Affordable and available in different colors and designs.
- Provides the support and comfort when properly wrapped.
- Wraps the baby closer to parent.
- Contoured to the baby’s and parent’s curves.
- Can be a cover when breastfeeding in public places.
- Learning the proper wrapping takes time.
- Not giving a friendly look for dads.
- Difficult to wear outside because it drags along the ground.
- Not good when in a hurry, difficult to put on and to take off.
- Cannot be folded into a small piece, taking up some space.
- May cause injury to baby when improperly wrapped.
- Not fit for baby who weighs heavier.
Top Picks for Best Baby Wrap
Soft-Structured Baby Carriers
Similar to a back pack, this buckled baby carrier can be worn comfortably in front or on your back. This design allows you to easily slide the baby on or take the baby off. The shoulder straps and the buckles can be adjusted for your personal suitability.
- Those who want an easy put on and take off.
- Those who need one that fits all.
- Those who want one that can carry heavier or older baby.
This carrier is suitable for newborn babies and can be used for babies up to 3 years old.
You can carry the baby in front or on your back or across the hip, depending on the position comfortable for you and for your baby.
- Easy on and off, easy to wear.
- No need to learn curve.
- Straps are padded for comfort; do not dig in on shoulders.
- Preferred by dads.
- Wraps baby closer to you.
- Adjustable for different users and size.
- Can be used even for heavier and older babies
- Cheaper brands have straps that dig in.
- Does not contour to the shape of the baby.
- Unusual body shape of baby may not be supported properly.
- Petite parents find it bulky.
- Cannot be folded to fit into diaper bags.
- Buckles and clips may cause uncomfortable feeling when rubbed
Top Picks for Best Soft Structured Baby Carriers
Mei-Tei Baby Carrier
The Mei-Tei is designed with features similar closely to the soft structured carriers in that it also has straps but in 4, one on each side. The design is in a rectangular shape and creates a soft pouch where you can slide your baby comfortably and easily into the carrier closer to your body.
Compared to the soft structured carrier, this carrier is less bulky, allowing you to do your chores while you carry the baby in your body.
You can carry the baby in front or on your back or across the hip, but it may feel awkward to do hip carrying for some parents. For those who prefer hip carrying, there are some Mei-Tei carriers that are designed specifically for such carrying position.
- Those who cannot afford the soft structured carriers.
- Those who want to do chores while carrying the baby.
- Those who want one that can be worn in different positions.
- Babies on 6 months to toddler years.
- Can be folded and stored in a diaper bag.
- Comfortable baby carrying in a closer body hug.
- Suitable for front or back carrying.
- Easy on and off.
- Can be adjusted for personal suitability.
- Straps that can be tied to suit a variety of body shape means carrier can be shared to other adults.
- Designed without the buckle and clips that cause rubbing on skin.
- Straps are not padded, digging in to shoulders.
- The open side design is not suitable for newborn baby.
- No head support for sleeping baby.
- Proper tying of knots should be learned.
- The long straps drag on the ground.
- Toddlers who want to go up and down frequently may take time to go on and off.
Top Picks for Best Mei-Tei Baby Carrier
Baby Sling Carrier
2 Types of Baby Sling:
- Sling Pouch – A pouch that sits across one shoulder where the baby can sit or lay down. It is suitable for newborn babies. You can choose one that suits your body size.
- Ring Sling – A pouch in a rectangular shape with fabric that threads through rings of metal. The pouch can be adjusted to suit the user.
You can carry the baby in front only to ensure support and protection of the baby.
- Who want affordable carrier.
- Who want to carry the baby on early years only
- Who want one that can be worn in a low learning curve
- From newborn to toddler years.
- Easy on and off.
- Best for parents who prefer baby wearing on short periods.
- Baby is closer to body.
- Easy breastfeeding.
- Single shoulder carrying means less support.
- Not recommended for Parents with back and shoulder pain.
- Not suitable to share with other adults of different body shape or size.
- Baby tends to move away from your body when you bend because of less support.
- Cannot be worn on your back.
- Not for heavier baby.
- Not common to parents
Top Picks for Best Baby Sling Carrier
Front-facing Baby Carrier
It is a baby carrier that you can wear to put your baby in a position that is not facing your chest but facing the other way. It offers a great comfort to the baby to be able to see what is around him.
You can carry the baby in front of you only with him facing away from you.
- Who want their babies to get a better view of the area
- Who want to use the carrier for the early stage only
- From newborn to infant stage.
- Easy on and off.
- Easy to wear.
- Design that is friendly to dads as well.
- No head and neck support for sleeping baby.
- Support system can be bad on your back.
- Suitable only for small age group.
- Baby dangles on the carrier because there is no support for legs, pelvis, or hip.
- Fabric digs in to the thigh of the baby.
- Baby can be overly stimulated when facing forward.
- May affect the spine development of the baby.
Top Picks for Best Front-facing Baby Carrier
Baby Carrier Backpack
Also known to many as hiking carrier, this baby carrier is similar in design to backpack for campers. It is carried on the back for the baby to be comfortable, and for you to carry your growing baby easily.
Note: It is different from the carrier that can be worn on front and back because it is designed with support specifically for back carrying.
You can carry the baby on your back as the baby is facing forward.
- Who do long walks or camping
- Who want to use the carrier for a long period of time
- Who a comfortable backpack baby carrying
- Babies on toddler years who can sit without assistance.
- With plenty of space for baby stuff.
- Baby is not pressed hard against your body.
- With sun canopy for baby’s protection against sunlight.
- Allows the baby to view the place.
- For toddlers only; not for infants.
- Difficult for parent to see the baby at the back.
- Difficult to put baby on and off the carrier.
- Cannot be folded to fit a small space.
- Designs and options are limited.
Top Picks for Best Baby Carrier Backpack
Osprey Poco Plus Child